Thursday, December 15, 2005

Happy birthday Alan!!

Well, we were thinking of Alan and rummaging through some old photos. I don't think I've seen this one in quite a while. But a lot of things are beginning to make sense. Actually, I remember this day well. It was picture day at Patterson elementary, and Alan refused to leave the house without his "show and tell".
Alan's interests and repertoire expanded over the years. His conversations were frequently sprinkled with phrases such as "wood chips", "smoke rings", and "required hours of smoking". But most often we heard, "Get your hands off that." Alan actually looks good in this picture, considering the fact that he had not slept at all the night before smoking these ribs out behind the goat pen.
This represents the culmination of a lifelong dream, the perfect union of a boy and his beloved Scout motto, "Be preparing!" Yes, it is the standing rib roast, the magnus opus of the protein universe. You can't see it in this picture, but there is actually a merit badge that looks just like this on his sash. Hey Alan, thanks for the memories.

4 comments:

Aaron and Melissa said...

You did a really good job walking us through the timeline. Your work shows a lot of promise. Don't be a stranger.

Amy Petersen Coaching said...

Simply put, well done, or shall I say medium rare.

Don and Amy Bennion said...

Great post! Fun to see the pictures of Alan that reveal so much about him. What a cute little boy you were in that first picture, Alan. (and the rest of the pictures, too, of course.)

Amy

Ang said...

Okay, this is really funny. Jody and I were laughing our heads off last night. This is classic, and a great idea. You really should post more often. Thanks for the laugh!