A few stories about Mom
I know now how brown cows bow down lowly. Amy wanted to know how many "ow" words I could do in a row.
Anyway, I remember all the crafts you did when I was little. I didn't understand then why you were always doing them. I know you enjoyed some of it, but I spent enough time in the craft store to earn a few points up in heaven. It's akin to enduring religious persecution. I'm sure I could have behaved better in the stores. I enjoyed getting to stay up on occasion- seems there were alway M&Ms or Snickers and Dr Pepper. I remember doing exercises as a family during the summertime. I don't know that we did it that many times, but the bicycle kick exercise was my favorite.
One Birthday of mine in Massachusetts I asked for a bicycle. I wanted a BMX, but Mom and Dad could afford a garage sale special. I remember when Mom came home and told me she had bought a bike. I was excited, until I saw it. Now, I watched the Brady Bunch too much just like any other kid, but I didn't want to experience their lifestyle. This bike was reconditioned, but it was from some ancient time long ago when bikes weighed nearly 100 lbs. I went down to my room and cried for a while. I felt bad that she had spent the money on something I thought was the dorkiest looking piece of garbage I had ever seen. After a long while I got the courage to go tell her how I felt about the bike. I don't know how she did it, but she agreed to go to the store and buy a "cooler" bike. I chipped in $ of my own, but Mom found the money to buy me another bike. I think Aric didn't eat for a week- sorry, but that bike was important to me.
Oh yeah, those jams were hip. Actually I didn't care that they were homemade.
I ran for student council in 8th grade. Mom helped me make posters and write a speech. I lost, but it probably had more to do with those dang Bugle Boy jeans. I thought they were awesome- stone washed and all.
Mom helped me put a nest on my head for crazy hair day. I lost to the Tom Noss who put his long hair in a spike and put silver spray in it like a hershey kiss. That guy had mostly chocolate in his head anyway. I thought mine was original, and plus I got Karo Syrup dripping down my face later in the day!
Enjoy the day and know that we love you mom.
Alan, Amy and the kids
Saturday, March 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Tom-or Thomas as Jill and I always called him, and never without using his last name also-Noss! He really did have mostly chocolate in his head. That brings back a few memories of Ly----mer, First Choice, and really long licorice ropes.
Post a Comment