Okay, I'm a little late, but honestly, is anyone shocked? Jody still wonders why anyone ever assigns us anything besides the dessert for family dinners. We usually are on time to church- does that count for anything? I would love to give you the list of excuses of why punctuality isn't one of my better qualities, but there isn't room, and I think you love me anyways. The honest truth is I try all the time, but fail too often. Enough about that. I wanted to share some of my memories of my favorite mom in the whole world
*Mom always liked to sing fun songs in the car on the way to the cabin. The tradition has been passed down and I love to sign (wait, I don't know how to sign, I meant sing) a rousing rendition of "Mares Eat Oats"(Jody still doesn't get this one, although I was a teenager when I did, and then only because Mom sang it very slowly for me), "I've Been Workin' On the Railroad", or "Waddalyacha"(does that song have an ending?)
Also, I realize now that I'm a mom what a sacrifice it can be to haul everyone off to the cabin without the Dad to help, yet every summer we got to go a lot, and sometimes without Dad. I know this was because she loved us and wanted us to have fun.
* I remember Mom working on crafts to take to boutiques, often late at night. Every once in awhile she would let me stay up with her and just sit and watch her. I loved doing that, it made me feel really special.
*In fourth grade we went on an Amtrak train to Tucson to the Sonoran Desert Museum. Mom came and I felt lucky that my Mom would come spend the whole day with me, even though she had to find somewhere for the little kids to go all day.
* When Mom had crafts at Jerri's Kinfolks at the mall she would often acquiesce and let Alan and I come with her and spend our hard earned money on stickers. Alan and I had quite the album, one of my all-time favorite stickers being the big, fuzzy, scratch and sniff peach. Mom actually acted interested in our sticker book.
*Mom teaching me how to sew. My first project was a long sleeve shirt with four pieces-the front, back, and two sleeves. She was extremely patient with me when I sewed the sleeves together for the front and back, and the front and back together for the sleeves. It was obvious something was wrong when I tried it on-either that or it was an extremely ugly pattern. The next sewing lesson was "Using the Stitch Ripper"
*Mom always made me feel like I could do anything I wanted to. Even when it was something I didn't want to do, like playing softball with the young women, she supported me. I was a senior when I finally agreed to try and so for Family Home Evening the week before our first game we all practiced softball in the backyard so I wouldn't make a fool out of myself. I don't think it worked(I still ran from the ball when it came anywhere close to me), but at least she tried. I don't even think she laughed at me.
*I had an awesome 16th birthday. It started with a Rose and a Snickers by my plate at breakfast, and a CTR ring with a diamond in it. She said "this is your first diamond and it better be your last for awhile" ( was 3 years long enough?). Then she came and got me on my lunch hour so I could go and get my license. Then she let me drive myself to ballet in the Beast on my first day of having my license, which I believe shows an enormous amount of love. (So did paying for ballet lessons when I was 16 - what was I thinking?) Then that weekend she gave me a huge surprise party.
*Going to get a pop, candy bar, and sit in the very long line waiting for emissions test, and just talking the whole time.
*Patiently teaching me the finer arts of Scrabble and not being frustrated when I had to keep showing her my letters and asking for help. (I've only stopped needing this help very recently)
*Surprise "lunch party" for my eighteenth birthday. Jill wanted to go to our house for lunch that day, and when I got there all of my friends were there. That was fun.
*Dedicated hours of time, energy, talents, money, etc into Miss Arizona. The first pagenat I was in my onstage question was "What is your opinion on gun control?" I proceeded to talk about the second ammendment and who knows what else. After the pageant Mom said, "I had no idea you had an opinion gun control" I told her I didn't know I had one either.
Once again, I'm going long. Some quickies
*Being able to sew a t-shirt before you can get the one you're wearing off
*Knowing how to score little league games- I was impressed then, and still am now
*Throwing 100% support behind anything I did
*Limitless supply of talent-really, is there anything you can't do?
*Taught me how to work hard and never give up
*Going to great lengths to help deliver a baby goat(Does anyone else remeber Mom doing this)
*Teaching me to love children and family
Basically, I am who I am today because of you. I know that I've made it this far because of the life lessons I learned from you. I love spending time with you and am so proud to be your daughter. I love you- Happy Birthday. Ang
Monday, March 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yes, I distinctly remember mom and Sandy up to their armpits in the delivery. I know something Mom can't do. Ask her to get a plate from the top shelf of the cupboards.
Nice post.
Post a Comment