Sunday, November 25, 2007

Hymn Singing

I'm using Don's computer which doesn't have any of our pictures on it...sorry, I was going to post a couple of pictures. Anyway, one funny thing I've realized here is that they don't follow the same traditions of hymn singing. We definitely have hymns we sing for certain topics, especially certain Sacrament hymns. Here, they sing Sacrament hymns for opening and closing, and regular hymns during the Sacrament service. It's funny because it kind of just seems off to me, who is so used to it the American way. I guess the hymns are catergorized that way in the actual hymnbooks in America--maybe they're not categorized here, I don't know. People seem to sing out here, which is nice. I'm starting to sing a little louder now that I have the smallest of grips on what the pronunciation is like. I'm still wrong a lot, but it's a good time to learn pronunciation--when I can see the spelling of the word and hear it around me.
The ward choir probably triples my ward choir at home. It has around 20 people in it. They sound good, too!
People are very very nice, especially at church. This ward has an English Sunday School. which we love. The translating works out great for Sacrament and RS/Elders Quorum, but it is nice to have one meeting in our own language.
William has started climbing into Burke's crib with him to wake him up--in the middle of the night, whenever. He just woke Burke up from his nap. I better go get him!

1 comment:

Jess said...

I guess I never realized that they probably do almost everything different there. I'm so culturally sheltered, I think everyone is like me! Your posts are a real eye opener (I'm living vicariously through you guys). I know how you feel about the elder waking up the younger, Tallon woke up the other day, went over to Desi's crib and yelled "BOO". She screamed for a while but he thought it was HILARIOUS. Its such a big brother thing to do! Love you guys!